Date: completed Feb 2013
Number of Signs: 8
Location: New Norcia, WA
Key Design Features: stainless steel etch
wrapped around Cor-ten sign panels in two size types.
New Norcia is an historic town in
WA, originating from when a small group of Spanish Benedictine monks made their
way north from Perth to establish a mission near the banks of the Moore River in 1847.
The Monastery is a key feature of the town with many visitors seeking to enjoy its spiritual essence and magnificent architecture. This is the first stage of a whole townsite interpretive signage program.
Signs & Lines worked in close partnership with the design agency Axiom Design Partners to help realise the vision of the signs having a strong connection to the site. Each sign appears to be 'extruded' from the earth and bows in reverence to the place it interprets. The steel of the plinth will rust and take on the personality of its environment, further reinforcing the signs connection with the site.
We then asked Axiom why they chose Signs & Lines to work with on this project.
‘When we were selecting a signage company for the project it was important for us that they understood the significance of the project and what we were trying to create. The Benedictine Monks have a great
respect for craftsmanship. We found the whole process from refining our concept drawings with our Sales Rep, to seeing firsthand the steel fabricators pride in his work and the installation team happily ensuring it was millimetre perfect, was an absolute pleasure to work with the craftsmen at Signs & Lines.”
Axiom Design Partners :: www.axiomdp.com.au. Benjamin Hames, Director, Axiom Design Partners.